Sometimes referred to as “pepitas”, pumpkin seeds are edible, flat, oval-shaped green seeds which can be eaten as a healthy snack. When removed from the flesh of a pumpkin, they can be roasted, either plain or with other flavours such as oil and spices. They are powerhouses of nutrients and health benefits. Rich in antioxidants and healthy fats, they make a great addition to one’s diet.
1. Rich in Antioxidants: Along with minerals, these seeds are also rich in antioxidants which protect against cell damage, inflammation and premature aging.
2. Full of Healthy Fats: Being the best source of plant-based omega3 fatty acids, pumpkin seeds may be beneficial for the heart.
3. High in Fiber: Pumpkin seeds are great source of fibre which may help in reducing the risk of obesity and diabetes.
4. Help Promote Sleep: As pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc, magnesium and tryptophan, they may help in promoting good sleep.
5. Very High in Magnesium: Pumpkin seeds are high in magnesium which is important for blood pressure, blood sugar levels and bone health.