This recipe is a rich creamy pudding and a perfect dessert at your parties and nutritious sweet treat for your kids too. It is gluten free and can be made as a vegan dish also by replacing regular milk with almond milk.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 2 cup Milk , can be substituted with almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Condensed Milk , can be eliminated for vegans
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon Saffron strands
- Mixed nuts , chopped, for garnishing
- In a saucepan, heat the ghee on medium flame and once warm, add in the quinoa. Roast the quinoa till it becomes light brown.
- Add 1 cup hot water and bring it to a boil. Once it is reduced to half, add 2 cups of hot milk along with saffron strands.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, simmer the flame to low and let it cook for 7-8 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked through, add in the sugar and cardamom powder. Stir well till the sugar dissolves. Adjust the consistency by adding more water.
- Add in the condensed milk. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve warm or chilled phirni in individual bowls. Garnish with chopped nuts and dry fruits.